Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baltimore and DC!

This past week and weekend was a busy one for us. Zach started working at CI last Monday and had a whirlwind of a week He is absolutely loving it, just like I knew he would. That first week is pretty exhausting, but we had a packed weekend anyways. Saturday afternoon we ventured into Baltimore to have lunch with longtime friends of my parents, Brook and Carlotta. Brook and Carlotta are actually family now, because their daughter is now my aunt Jill, after marrying my mom's brother. They are super fun people, who always seem to know the best places to go. We went to Woodberry Kitchen which is in this fun part of town surrounded by iron workers, glass blowers and other artists. Their food is local, seasonal, organic and delicious. It was so different, but you could just taste how fresh it was.

This was my yogurt with homemade granola (most of it was below the yogurt) with super yummy apples and honey. Best thing ever. I got this and an apple fritter.

Zach's fried Chesapeake oyster sandwich. 

I should have taken more pictures of the other food, or the environment, but then I wouldn't have been cool. Because this place was filled with the COOLEST people I have ever been around. All very hip and modern, all individuals. No one caring about other people, just having a good time. And get this, their employee dress code? Plaid. Just plaid. I love plaid! Even the napkins were plaid:

Yes, that is my lap. Anyways, on the way to Baltimore I jokingly told my parents that we should go to open houses all day. We went to open houses most of the fall, because I like to know all of my options, so we're already house hunting (even though we will probably buy in Reno, not Nova). Anyways, towards the end of our meal Carlotta mentioned these incredible townhome/home type things in the area that were super modern and brand new. She loved them, so we decided to go over for a quick tour! See, these people are meant for me. The places were gorgeous, soooo much glass, awesome wood beam ceilings; they really went with the area they were in with that authentic and unique feel. 

After that we had an appointment with a jeweler that Brook and Carlotta know. This jeweler made the earrings I got for my birthday last year, which were made out of some of my great grandmother's amethysts. I am obsessed with those earrings, and get SO many compliments on them. So, we now have some aquamarines that my mom and I want jewelry out of, so we had an appointment for that. Plus, Zach and I still have the diamond we planned on trading in when we got my engagement ring (but didn't), so I'm hoping to make something out of that.

I'll get a better pic of the earrings some day, they look amazing on!

Anyways, this was one of the WEIRDEST experiences of my life. Carlotta had warned us on the way over not to be scared of the guy, and I couldn't figure out why. Well, I was scared anyways. His apartment is essentially a jewelry making studio/rock shop. He lives and works there, yet it doesn't seem like anyone should be there for  more than 5 minutes at a time. We also woke him up when we rang the bell (at 2:00) that turned on the video camera for him to allow us in. Just strange. Then, he sat there and discussed what we were interested in and our options, and smoked hand rolled cigarettes the.entire.time. Everyone kept offering me to sit down with my mom and Zach in the chairs and I refused because I would have gotten so sick from the smoke. I was obviously uncomfortable. Anyways, it was a very new experience for me, and he is really a great, honest, friendly guy. I am sure he will make gorgeous necklaces and rings for us, because I absolutely love my earrings. I love people who live life exactly how they want to, without concern for anyone else's opinion, and he certainly does just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment