Friday, March 23, 2012

Blueberries and Cream Puff

Wednesday was my manager's birthday, so we all made treats to celebrate! I made a blueberry and cream tart because her husband told another one of our manager's that her favorite fruit is blueberries. I had made this once before and loved how light and summery it was, so I thought it was perfect since we're already getting such warm weather. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (8oz), thawed
1 egg
3-4 tablespoons sugar
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
zest of a small lemon
about 2 cups blueberries

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375 and roll out the puff pastry as much as you can. I use one of my flexible cutting boards, sprinkle some flour on it, and roll out the pastry on there.I usually make it so that it fits my cookie sheet pretty well width wise. Then I put parchment paper over the pastry so that I can flip the cutting board and dough over onto there; I find that easier than lifting (and usually breaking) the dough. Use a butter knife to score a border around the edge of the dough. You want to leave about 1 inch of space for the "crust." My edges are never straight, but you want to score the edges in a straight line. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp. sugar onto the edges/crust pretty thickly, and then sprinkle some of the middle of the dough as well. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes; it should get pretty crispy but definitely not burned. 

While you wait for that to be done, but the cream cheese and heavy cream in your mixer and beat until smooth. Then add the lemon zest and 2 tablespoons sugar and continuing beating until smooth again. That's it for the cream portion!

When the pastry is done int he oven, it will be really puffy - don't be concerned! I was the first time. Take the butter knife and cut through the top layer of the pastry where you scored it before it went in the oven. Push the middle square down so that the middle of the pastry is flat. Let that cool completely before you spread the cream mixture into that middle portion. Then, add the blueberries and you are done!


Rolled out, with straight lines scored.

Once it is out of the oven, you can cut through and push down the center like this.

The cream mixture! Doesn't look like a lot, but it goes far.

It doesn't have to be pretty when you spread it out, because you won't be able to see it.
Just try to make sure its fairly evenly spread.

Add the blueberries!

Done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment