Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Korean Beef!

I have to start this recipe off by giving full credit to my friend Isabella, who gave me this Korean Beef recipe after she made it for us a little over a year ago. I have always loved Korean BBQ, so she and her husband made this for us and passed along the recipe. They are Korean and I believe it's a family recipe of his, so its a serious winner. I have found that you don't have to really be to precise with it for it to turn out perfectly. For example, I used 5 lbs of meat this time around and it tasted pretty much the same as when I have used 1/2 as much meat. It is always super delicious and popular, and has a pretty unique flavor. So here goes:

Ingredients:
Boneless Short Ribs 
(I've been using chuck roast instead when I want to save money)
About 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Onion, chopped in large chunks
3-4 chopped up Garlic Cloves (I often double this)
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tbs Ground Pepper
1/2 Korean Pear (or a Kiwi) in chunks
Sesame Seed Oil

Instructions:

Wash the meat and cut it into squares. I do squares that are about 2"x2". Put the meat into a large mixing bowl and pour in the soy sauce. It should be a generous amount of soy sauce, but shouldn't be drowning the meat. From my experience, it is best if all the meat is coated, but you can only kind of see the soy sauce piling up below the meat, like in the picture below:

The meat chunks

The amount of soy sauce I find works best

Add in the onion, garlic, sugar, pepper and the Korean Pear. Mix everything together:




Cover the bowl with plastic wrap for a couple hours, and then mix in a bit of sesame oil about 1 1/2 hours before cooking the meat. It should look like this when you are ready to go:


Put in as many pieces that will sit flatly in the pan, and flip when ready.



When it's done.


This time we served it over rice, but sometimes we do tempura veggies as an appetizer and don't have any room left for sides. Since we did 5 lbs this time around we thought we would have a ton of leftovers, but we didn't! Seems to be a theme when Korean Beef is made.


2 comments:

  1. LOVE Korean Beef. This recipe looks amazing! Thank you for sharing -- I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete